Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Empire State of Mind

My dearest Eternal Interns,
I hope you're both well.  I am back from New York and I had the best time!  It was a whirlwind of weekend filled with brunches, lunches and lots of shopping!  Rose, it's such a shame you couldn't be there, but it sounds like you had a action-packed weekend on the west coast!  It was so great to be back in New York and to catch up with friends I haven't seen in months.  I managed to touch base with the usual suspects:  Flora (of course!) D & M (who are still working on their amazing new film!) and the lovely Ashton

On Sunday, Flora and I had brunch with my friend A. who is currently working at Vogue.  She started as an intern, but because she is too fabulous for words she was a shoo in for a job.  Lucky lady!  We used to intern together at a Toronto-based magazine and I must say, she is oh so Vogue.  You know those girls that seem to have all the luck?  Well A. is one of them!  The only difference is that she is so delightful that you can't possibly be jealous!  Anyway, I had such a blast catching up with her as she dished all the Vogue gossip over french fries at Balthazar.  For a fashion intern like moi, A's rise from rags to Vogue is like a fairy tale and the editors at Vogue are definitely the evil stepmothers!

Flora and I also attended a fabulous cocktail party at the apartment of an old family friend.  Tim is a television producer and for as long as I remember he has hosted some pretty incredible parties.  Flora and I got the usual "Where are you working?" and "Oh, you're just an intern" but we have learned to side step the judgment with as much grace as possible.  Anyway, I noticed how much easier it is for me to network (I hate that word!) in New York.  In Paris, I have that foreign allure that attracts people, but I am never 100% able to convey my personality en francais.  I am fluent in French, but certain cultural references and nuances still go over my head.  In New York I am more at ease.  I was cool, calm and collected.  I had forgotten what it's like to be witty and charming in one's mother tongue!  It makes all the difference in the world! 

More on my New York adventures to follow but for now I must get back to the world of Eternal Interning!

Bisous x x x Ophelia

PS. In case you were wondering, my lunch with the editors fell through.  Quelle surprise! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails