Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Know Your Audience

Ophelia, where are you?  Hope all is well... kinda worried.  Just drop us a quick line to let us know you are OK.

My vacation is tremendous thus far.  I spend the first couple of days trying to relax... but that is beyond an Eternal Interns wildest dreams.  Alas, I have managed to clear my mind to a satisfactory level, which is also the level that I will work to maintain for the remainder of my vacation.

I saw Iron Man 2 during the weekend and it got me rethinking where I was heading with my story.  The filmmakers of Iron Man have identified a clear target audience, and amidst a theater full of them, it became clear to me that I need to redefine who I am writing for (NOT myself!). This audience was so excited about the set up for the Avengers movie and also the sneak preview for Thor (also a character in the Avengers movie) that they waited for over 5 minutes until the last credit was over to catch it!

Right now I am developing the beats of my story (or rather RE-developing them).  It is a coming of age story that is extremely dear to my heart, and so it is no wonder that it was with great difficulty that I finally decided to input the cheap conflict that I believe is necessary.  So today I am working on recreating the essence of my story by developing a love triangle that I was so against before, but that is 100% necessary for increased movement, conflict, stakes and a greater resolution.  To make this story work I need to clearly define who my audience is.

Come to think of it, this can be extended to more than my story development issues...  as Eternal Interns we also need to identify what it is we are selling to what audience.

With that I shall get back to my morning caffe latte.

Enjoy the rest of your days!

xxx Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails