Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

The Way Things Were...

Good evening!  O, any luck on the apartment

I just had a drink with an old friend from elementary school, who I haven't seen for over a decade.  It was extremely lovely to catch up, but his latest news got me thinking about the job market today compared to what it was even ten years ago. 

My friend is currently unemployed and so has decided to write the GRE and get an MA.   To most this might sound like a clever move, however, an Eternal Intern would disagree.

I believe there was a time where an MA from a reputable school would land one a higher paying job, but nowadays it could leave you at a disadvantage.  I have found that NOTHING matters more on one's resume than experience! 


The problem is that while my friend decides to return to school there are people working and creating a larger network for themselves by the minute! 

Even after receiving a post graduate degree, most people learn the hard way that they have to start from the bottom regardless, AND in this economy some employers are afraid to hire individuals who they view as being 'overqualified'!
 
What does that even mean? 
Isn't that supposed to be a good thing?
I long for a time where the commitment to better oneself was rewarded fairly.

What do you guys think?


xxx Rose

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rose, my opinion is that there are two types of post-graduate students - ones who went straight from their bachelor's degree to their master's and others like myself who went back after 10 years of getting our asses kicked in the workforce. From my experience, it doesn't matter if you're 25 or 35 (like me) with a master's degree, you still gotta start at the bottom (again.)

    Janet from Florida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet, I totally agree! When I wrote this, I was feeling the frustration of exactly that. Starting at the bottom after a post grad degree! But alas, we all have to grind through and and believe that the rewards are just around the corner. Good luck! xxx Rose

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails