Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Jackie vs. Marilyn

Hello girls,
I have been meaning to write for days, but I must confess, I have been glued to Mad Men.  I put off watching it for years (not really sure why!) and I finally sat down to see what all the fuss was about a few days ago.  Well, the fuss is justified!  Between the clothes (Joan and Betty in particular... too gorgeous for words!) and Don Draper (also too gorgeous for words!) I have not been able to stop watching!  I have literally watched 2.5 seasons in a matter of days!  I am totally addicted!

What I wouldn't give to travel back in time to experience (just for a day!) what it would have been like.  Sure, people were sexist, racist, unfaithful, chain-smoking alcoholics, but Mad Men makes them seem pretty damn cool!  In the end we definitely have it better, but I think that in some aspects they had it right....  I love the men in hats and suits and I really don't see a problem with drinking at work!  haha!

Anyway, one of the earlier episodes raised an interesting question... Are you a Jackie or a Marilyn?   Having read numerous Jackie and Marilyn bios I think I'm a hybid of the two (leaning closer to a Jackie, I think) but it got me thinking about Jackie and Marilyn as Eternal Interns...

What do these rivals and social icons have in common with us?  

* Jackie went to a girls' school, a university in New York and studied abroad in Paris.
* A young Jackie Bouvier held an entry level position at a well-known publication. 
* Jackie started a new job in publishing after first "career" ended abruptly.
* Mrs Kennedy loved personalized stationary and handwritten Thank You notes!  
* A young Norma Jean was destined to conquer Hollywood.
* Marilyn Monroe worked her way to the top, she started with few Hollywood connections.  
* MM understood the beauty and power of diamonds!  haha!  

I hope you're both well!  I have a date with the ever-so-dashing Don Draper!

Bisous xx Ophelia


Jackie vs Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails