Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Intern and the Red Flags

Hello girls,
Rose, I feel your pain.  I had a hell of a day yesterday!  As you know, I am only applying to jobs, no internships.  It has been a bit of a challenge since there are no jobs!  That said, I was thrilled on Friday when I found what sounded like the most fabulous job!  It was as if the position was created for me.  I immediately replied.  Their response came almost instantly, inviting me for an interview on Monday.  I should have known things were too perfect, I should have suspected it was too good to be true.  As soon as I arrived, red flags galore, am I surprised it ended so badly?  Nope.

Red flag # 1:  I arrived 10 minutes early for my 1pm interview only to learn that my interviewer was at a meeting and would be at least 30 minutes late.  Great!

Red flag # 2:  On their site, the job title blatantly said "junior editor and assistant to the Editor in Chief."  When I arrived, it had conveniently changed to an INTERNSHIP!   Lying about the nature of the job to get people in the door?  Bad form!

Red flag # 3:  When I politely informed the interviewer that I was looking for a permanent position and not an internship, he completely ignored me!  Then he handed me a little booklet.  When I opened it, I saw that it was an EXAM!   I felt like I was about to write the SATs!  Not one for pop quizzes, I firmly refused to write the two hour test!

What is this world coming to when internships are disguised as jobs and standardized multiple choice questions?  I know they say "beggars can't be choosers" but in this case, I chose to walk out that door without looking back!

Back to the drawing board...

Bisous xx Ophelia

1 comment:

  1. this is the worst kind of recruiter! glad you got out while you still could.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails